📣 This episode was published during the 2023 WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. Without the labor of the writers and actors currently on strike, the film being covered here wouldn't exist. If you want to support the cause, consider donating to the Entertainment Community Fund, which provides financial aid to industry workers. There's also a Google doc that lists a variety of funds you can donate to, including a pizza fund for the various strike locations and a water fund for strikers at the hot Disney lot.
In minutes 11-15 of The Rise of Skywalker, we see Rey training in the jungle of Ajan Kloss under the light guidance of General Leia Organa; Kylo and Rey have their first Force chat of the film; and Rey reunites with Poe and Finn. Star Wars author and Rey aficionado Riley Silverman is here with me to discuss Rey's epic "training suite" theme, Leia's as a "lowercase j" jedi, shortcuts in music and filmmaking, and more!
- 0:00 - Hello there!
- 1:43 - Leia as a lowercase "j" jedi
- 6:40 - End of the lightspeed skipping scene.
- 8:51 - Shortcuts. Re-using the Martial Chords/Holst Chords from the Death Star blow-up scene in ANH.
- 17:56 - Peaceful soundscape of Rey training on Ajan Kloss.
- 20:58 - "Leia Trains Rey" – new incidental motif – a tender string line.
- 26:31 - Mishearing the Rey/Leia conversation in theaters.
- 32:46 - Rey's pump-up training suite is reminiscent of Luke's lifestyle montage on Ahch-To (in TLJ minutes 21-25).
- 39:33 - Imperial March and Kylo Ren's Aggressive theme with one note out of place.
- 44:10 - Music raising the stakes during Rey's training. Duelistic Strings (incidental motif). Kylo's intrusion.
- 49:46 - Awesome sound design in Rey/Kylo's concurrent flashbacks.
- 1:00:14 - Rey studies ancient texts. Independent Jedi Study. Continuity from TLJ to TROS.
- 1:10:57 - Poe and Rey bicker like divorced (but still good) co-parents.
- 1:22:47 - Final thoughts about these minutes and TROS as a whole.
- 1:34:53 - SWMM Questionnaire
- 1:45:09 - Where to find Riley's books.
Things to Check Out:
- Martial Chords
- Rey A (Theme A-Phrase)
- Leia Trains Rey
- Rey B (Chimes)
- Imperial March (Theme)
- Kylo Ren A (Aggressive)
- Duelistic Strings
Where are we in the soundtrack?:
- End of FYC 2. "Falcon Flight"
STAR WARS MUSIC MINUTE QUESTIONNAIRE:
1. In exactly 3 words, what does Star Wars sound like?
- New: Wondrous space magic.
- Previous: Epic space magic.
2. What's something related to Star Wars music or sound that you want to learn more about?
- New: How many different people are involved in the process of putting music in the film? Who has the final say?
- Previous: How many different screams are there? How do people go about designing music for a scene or character in the first place? Writers start with a blank page and somehow use words to convey scenes; what is the musical/sound version of that process like?
3. What's a score or soundtrack you're fond of besides anything Star Wars?
- New: Across the Spider-Verse (composed by Daniel Pemberton)
- Previous: Gentlemen Jack (composed by Murray Gold), Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (composed by Danny Elfman). Doctor Who.
Guest: Riley Silverman
⭐️ Join the Discord server by becoming a patron at any level! https://patreon.com/chrysanthetan
Leave a voice message, and I might play it on the show... https://starwarsmusicminute.com/comlink
Where else to find SWMM: